Lisnavagh Timber Project Forum
18 December, 2017, 14:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please register to become a member of this forum.   It is easy!   Registration keeps this forum clear of spam messages.  Thanks.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The colour of oak  (Read 7681 times)
Sean
« on: 05 August, 2004, 16:17 »

Why is American white oak brown?   Is it a different species to Irish oak that also is brown but darker in colour?  Is there a white Irish oak?
Woodmaster
Administrator
Madly Busy Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2004, 10:57 »

Sean,
I am no expert on American White Oak, as we do not supply it.   However, I know that American white oak is a different species to Irish and English oak (there are several hundred species of oak in the world.   American oak is Quercus alba, whereas the "Irish" or Sessile Oak is Quercus petraea and the "English" or Pendunculate oak is Quercus robur.    

In terms of colour, the American White Oak does (I believe) have a slightly lighter colour than the Irish & English oaks, but it is still basically a golden/tan colour, and not actually white.

The colour (of any timber) can also be affected by minerals in the earth around the roots of the tree.  These meineals can cause streaks to appear in the timber or just give the timber a generally darker colour.   This is regarded by some as a blemish, although we and many others consider it to be a feature!   It's a matter for personal preference.

I hope that this is of some help.

William Bunbury

William Bunbury (LTP)
Zorro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2005, 01:29 »

American oak is bland.
Irish oak is interesting, catches the eye and has character.   It's that simple. Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: