Lisnavagh Timber Project Forum
17 December, 2017, 19:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

To subscribe to our Newsletter, please click here.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Danish oil or boiled oil?  (Read 21011 times)
Woodmaster
Administrator
Madly Busy Poster

View Profile WWW
« on: 19 July, 2004, 11:50 »

Is Danish oil safe to use on chopping boards?  

I was told that boiled (linseed) oil is totally safe and that it forms a hard crystallised layer below the surface of the wood after a couple of weeks, and that it is non-toxic.

But is Danish oil as safe?

I would be interested to hear any views on this.  Thanks.

William Bunbury

William Bunbury (LTP)
Eoghan O Neill
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2004, 18:26 »

Hi
Danish oil is not 100 per cent safe.  I suggest using, olive oil on wood that comes into contact with food.
The idea of the oil is to preserve the wood and bring out its colour. All oils will do this in varing degrees. Some oils work better on particular woods.  For instance boiled linseed oil is better on Yew than Danish oil.
But where food is concerned the only safe oils are the eatable ones. So olive oil is yer only man
« Last Edit: 01 January, 1970, 01:00 by admin » Logged
Brenda McLoughlin
« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2004, 01:09 »

We use Tung oil very successfully on bowls and plates. It doesn't stain wood  and dries in approx. 6 hours to a matt finish; safe for food use; it is pressed from a Chinese nut tree.
Momolan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November, 2004, 01:29 »

I have had limited success with burnt engine oil. It is good for getting a really dark finish but takes a long time to dry. The last coat that I applied was in 1989 and I am still waiting in hope. Also it's possible it may not be suitable for kitchen ware.
geoff tulip
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2005, 16:16 »

danish oil is not rated as food safe - (but is probably fine)- boiled oil is fine - however i prefer to use medicinal parafin oil - mineral oil- it is cheap totally non toxic and easy to use. it does take a bit longer to dry and needs topped up every so often but it is my personal choice. vegetable oils evetually go rancid in wood and nut base oils on food have a very extreme chance of causing reactions for those with nut allergies.
worth a go - leaves a very nice matt finish.
keithkarl2007

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2009, 00:30 »

i know this hasn't been visited in donkeys, but i just wanted to help. Walnut oil is a food safe finish, its often used on bowls such as salad bowls and cereal bowls
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: