Lisnavagh Timber Project Forum
12 December, 2017, 20:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit The Lisnavagh Timber Project today Wink

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference?  (Read 8795 times)
Jane Scanlon
« on: 17 May, 2005, 01:16 »

Does it matter where wod comes from?  I know i would prefer Irish wood, but we are European and i dont think we should be so against the wood that comes from our neighbours in our community.
pooka
Regular Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2005, 14:10 »

Personally, I am not opposed to using wood from any source, be it from within Europe or further afield, but there are a few things that make me prefer to use Irish woods where possible:

- The traceability of the wood is important to me, where it is offered. I am happier using wood that I know comes from a sustainable resource rather than wood that may have come from illegal (or immoral) deforestation. I think that traceability of local wood is easier to confirm (and therefore trust) than that of wood delivered from abroad (where you have any doubts/concerns about the supplier that is).

- The environmental impact of the transport of wood from further afield concerns me. Given a choice between comparable wood, I'd choose the wood which I believe has resulted in the least amount of pollution to get to me - in most cases I would expect this to be local wood, which is likely to have travelled a shorter distance.

- I am happy to support local employment, where possible. In the case of Lisnavagh Timber Project in particular, I think that it is great to see such a venture succeed so I plan to look there for my wood first. I have found the people at Lisnavagh to be very helpful too, which is surprisingly rare in many industries these days.

- I think that certain objects just look and "feel" better when made from raw material which is local to the country or area, whether that material is wood, metal, stone, or whatever.

geoff tulip
« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2005, 09:45 »

another interesting point is the finished products marketability. as a woodturner of large bowls i hand pick the trees that i turn my bowls from mostly from local and interesting trees. my bowls are then turned and are sold with a label telling the customer which town and tree the bowl came from. you will find people choosing to buy the product because of its 'history' rather that the look of it. often people will know the tree that the bowl came from - strange but true.
in the same way a piece of furniture for sale with a 'history' will sell much easier and probably for a higher price than a standard one.
so in that way local timber gets my vote
brendan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2005, 19:00 »

I could not agree more. The main attraction of Irish wood is not because it is Irish. It is because it is local and traceable and has travelled the shortest distance to get here. The lisnavagh project is extremely usefull to any woodworker dealing with hardwoods in Ireland. Particularly in my own case, I can say that without lisnavagh I would not have completed my first project (a carved rocking horse). I arrived at Williams doorstep with a cutting list. I was unfamilier with standard sizes widths etc. I received remarkable personal advice and assistence from William to the extent of wood being cut down to fit in the boot of my car.
It is also surprising the effect on people when you can show them the tree that the horse was carved from.      
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: