Lisnavagh Timber Project Forum
13 December, 2017, 03:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit The Lisnavagh Timber Project today Wink

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to find woodworking training?  (Read 20402 times)
pooka
Regular Poster

View Profile
« on: 22 July, 2004, 12:49 »

Hi,
I have been trying to find somewhere (preferably in the Dublin area if possible) where I can learn woodworking skills. Some sort of part-time or evening course would be ideal, so that I can fit it in around my day job. Anything that I have seen so far (FAS course, some DIT courses) seem to concentrate on carpentry, whereas I am interested more in the fine woodworking required for furniture making and the like.

Can anyone point me in the direction of, or even recommend, any options that are out there?

As an aside, is it possible to make a living out of fine furniture making in Ireland? By fine furniture making, I am excluding mass-produced furniture, and furniture made primarily from man-made boards.

Thanks.
Woodmaster
Administrator
Madly Busy Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2004, 15:01 »

We can offer wood carving/sculpting courses here at Lisnavagh.  The courses are run by Eoghan O'Neill.  See his website at http://www.irishwoodsculpture.com.

Otherwise in terms of furniture courses I am not sure.  There is the Furniture Technology Centre at Letterfrack in Galway, but that's not too handy for Dublin!   Then again, they might be able to direct you?

Maybe another visitor to this forum can offer advice!

William Bunbury (LTP)
Neil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2004, 15:09 »

Hi Pooka,

Have you seen the Furniture Design & Making courses at Killester College in Dublin?  I think it is one day a week for a year.

You can see some details here

You might find other courses of interest via a search on http://www.nightcourses.com

Hope this helps,

Neil
pooka
Regular Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2004, 11:31 »

Hi Neil,
I wasn't aware of that course in Killester College, so I'll check it out. I have one of the publications which lists evening course around the country, but the information in it is a bit scant in places so the website you refer to may be able to help me out there too. Thanks a lot.

pooka
Ken kelly(Guest)
« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2005, 12:51 »

Hi William,

Are you intending to run a woodcarving course in Lisnavagh. Please let me know as I would like to attend it.

regards

Ken
Woodmaster
Administrator
Madly Busy Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2005, 10:38 »

Ken,

Thanks for the message.   There were woodcarving courses here last year (2004) run by Eoghan O'Neill.   However, he has now moved on and I'm not sure if he is still running courses.   I have just telephoned him and left a message for him to reply to your message, if appropriate.

Otherwise, perhaps someone else offering wood carving courses will spot your message and reply!

Best wishes

William Bunbury

William Bunbury (LTP)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: