Lisnavagh Timber Project Forum
16 December, 2017, 01:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Do you prefer homegrown Irish timber or imported timber?   Click here to vote!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Railway Sleepers  (Read 6591 times)
Kurbz(Guest)
« on: 11 January, 2006, 03:25 »

Hi all,

I am just looking for some advise.  Is it easy/practical to work with railway sleepers?  I want to fashon a mantle for my fireplace in the sitting room.  I hear the sleepers may be soaked in some sort of solution and also may be covered with tar? I do admit that the sleepers i have seen, altho not covered in tar, do seem oily.  Has anyone worked with these or have any knowladge for me?

Doubting this I have considered oak (bog oak?). I basically want a dar(ish) wood. I thought the sleepers would make a nice touch. Where could I purchase enough wood to make a standard lenght mantle (and 4 small (4x2) shelvs)?.

Located in Limerick.

Regards,

Kev. B
Woodmaster
Administrator
Madly Busy Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2006, 10:31 »

Kev,

I haven't worked with railway sleepers myself, so I don't know a lot about them.   However, I think that the "solution" they are soaked in probably creosote (an oil based preservative).   Creosote is fairly nasty stuff, and allegedly carcinogenic.   However, as a mantle piece that may or may not matter too much?

If you are prepared to travel here from Limerick, you could have a look at a couple of 4" thick pieces of elm that we have in stock, and which were sawn as mantle pieces.   This is the darkest wood that we have.

Best wishes
William Bunbury

William Bunbury (LTP)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: