Lisnavagh Timber Project Forum
12 December, 2017, 04:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit The Lisnavagh Timber Project today Wink

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: planer/thicknessser  (Read 7048 times)
swift
Regular Poster

I Love Wood!

View Profile
« on: 09 March, 2006, 10:13 »

Hello, I'm a hobbyist woodworker and one of the difficulties I've had is only being able to purchase boards at a minimum thickness of say an inch when I require 1/2 inch boards and so on. Will the purchase of a planer/thicknesser allow me to buy boards and convert them to the size I require ? For instance how many thin boards could I get from a one inch board of southern yellow pine, is there much waste? Is the planer thicknesser worth paying extra for or is buying a thicknesser and planing down afterwords the better option? How much can a good quality machine be picked up for ? Any information much appreciated , thanks  
Woodmaster
Administrator
Madly Busy Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2006, 18:04 »

Swift

The answer to your first question is yes.   A thicknesser will allow you to reduce the thickness of a board down to a few millimeters.

The answer to the rest of your questions is a little less straight forward...

A planer thicknesser has two functions - namely, planing and thicknessing.
  • Planing is the removal of a surface of a board to get a smooth surface.
Thicknessing is reducing the thickness of the board (down to a specific thickness) by shaving off the unwanted material.  
[/list]
So, you are not, for example, splitting a 1" board into two 1/2" boards with a thicknesser.   If using a thicknesser on a 1" board, you end up with ONE 1/2" board and a large pile of shavings!

Your main problem, basically, seems to be the lack of availability of boards at less than 1" thick.  (This is something we are looking into supplying here at the Lisnavagh Timber Project). One option might be to buy thicker boards and try spliting them with a bandsaw.   Depending on the bandsaw and how wide the boards are, this should be possible.

There is more information (including diagrams) on planer thicknessers here http://www.irishwoods.com/resources/glossary.htm#Planthick

I hope that this might be of some help to you.
William Bunbury

William Bunbury (LTP)
swift
Regular Poster

I Love Wood!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2006, 21:45 »

Thanks William , that certainly is a help, it was a bit optimistic to hope I could get a few planks from a 1 inch board , but it still seems like a waste of wood so I think for the moment I'll hang on and see what you guys come up with at the project, Could you tell me if you are open for visitors on weekends. Thanks alot.  
Woodmaster
Administrator
Madly Busy Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2006, 11:05 »

Swift,

We have generally sawn timber at 1", 2", 3", etc in the past.   It will be some time before timber in other dimensions is available.   We have to saw it first, then air dry it for several months before kiln drying it.   It might take us a year or so before it is ready for sale...   Also, we generally work with hard woods, and always from Ireland, so we would not have southern yellow pine in stock.   We occasionally have scots pine.

It might be worth you coming to have a look though.   We don't have opening times, as such.   We meet customers by appointment (as I am not always about).  This can include weeknds, although Saturdays would be greeatly preferred to Sundays.   Please e-mail/telephone me to arrange a visit here when it suits you.

Many thanks

William

William Bunbury (LTP)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: